Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.
What Do You Think about the concept of being a continual learner? That the more you know, the more there is left to learn? You’ve obtained degrees, certifications, licenses, etc, so does that mean you’re done learning? Hopefully not!
Often we need to keep our technical and professional skills up to date, but what about our “people” skills and even understanding our current passion and desires?
Do you devote time for increasing your awareness levels? Is self-development something you enjoy doing? What about being committed to better understanding and communicating with others and helping others do the same?
PeopleTek has created a LEADERSHIP COMPASS which is a combination of leadership skills, traits, behaviors, and talents, along with concepts from the Johari Window to help individuals better understand themselves and relationships with others.
Below is a subset of the components we recommend you assess, explore and develop. For scoring, use a scale of 1 – 10 with 10 being best.
- Awareness: Do you know which of your behaviors and skills are considered strengths versus growth areas? Do you know which behaviors and skills are considered strengths in your colleagues? What about their development areas?
- Magic Dust: Do you have a clear understanding of the value you provide and your natural strengths and abilities?
- Vision/Mission/Goals: Are they written, communicated, tracked monthly, and do all of your behaviors support them?
- Communication: Are your messages accurately interpreted? Do you know how to use varied approaches and styles to improve results and enhance relationships?
- Clarity: Do you (or your team) clearly understand their roles, responsibilities, and desired organizational results?
- Accountability: Do you live up to your commitments? What about encouraging others to do the same?
- Conflict: Can you manage differences in a healthy, respectful manner?
- Influence: Do you have an effective presence that favorably impacts interactions and inspires others?
- Relationships: Are you proficient at building & maintaining lasting relationships?
- Feedback: Are you open and receptive to giving and receiving feedback?
- Inspiration: Do you empower and stretch others making them feel valued?
- Change: Do you embrace change and effectively communicate the “how and why”?
What do you think about the need to continually learn, grow and transform? It’s always a great time to invest in yourself and others!
And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?