If you get stressed in your work environment, you’re not alone. According to an American Institute of Stress (NY) study, job pressure is the number one cause of stress.
Does Work Stress You Out?
Adopting the right attitude can convert a negative stress into a positive one.
Strategies, technology, budgets, skill-sets, customers, partnerships, and shareholders are constantly evolving. As leaders, we need to take the time to pay attention to how we’re being impacted by the added pressures, and we need to pay attention to what’s happening to those we work with. What’s the pulse in your workplace?
How’s productivity? Absenteeism? Attitudes? Collaboration? Communication?
The statistics for how stress impacts individuals (and organizations) are staggering:
- 48% – Are negatively impacted in their personal and professional life
- 31% – Have difficulty managing work and family responsibilities
- 30% – Are “always” or “often” under stress at work
- $300 billion is the annual cost to employers in stress related health care and missed work
Here are some top contributors to work stress:
- Fear of being laid off
- Unrealistic deadlines
- Excessive work hours due to reduced staff
- Lack of collaboration
- Emphasis to “do more with less”
- Reduced recognition for a job well done (what is “above and beyond”?)
- Work just isn’t fun anymore
- Constant pressure to always deliver “at your peak” (the result is burn out)
Tips to help leaders manage stress:
- Take the time to build relationships and learn what your team is doing at work as well as personally
- Ensure everyone has clearly defined roles and understands priorities
- Call out non-productive behaviors ex. Rumors, attitudes, lack of focus, reduced productivity, etc
- Immediately address conflict / differences
- Share what you know as soon as you can; consistent communication is key
- Promote laughter and use humor to defuse stress
Are you doing all you can to minimize stress in your workplace? Hear what Mike and Marilyn say about the Leadership Journey.
Leadership Journey I
- Session 1 – in Phoenix – kicks off May 12 – LAST CALL!
- Session 1 – virtual – kicks off September 14 (Our June program is full)
Journey II – Moving Beyond The Barriers
- Session 1 – in Phoenix – kicks off May 12 – still a few open spots!
Tell Us – How Does Your Workplace Compare?
We want to invite you to take a short survey that looks at some important aspects of your workplace. We are gathering responses from Journey graduates and others so that we may paint a better picture of the workplace today. Here at PeopleTek we are interested in using the data to improve our curriculum and our collective workplace performance!
Please join us in this research. We will provide you with your own individual feedback, which you can use as you continue your individual leadership journey.