As leaders, it’s up to us to keep our skills, abilities and talents sharp, and it’s also up to us to find and use the leadership tools that will enable us to maximize our potential.
We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire. Give us the tools and we will finish the job.
PeopleTek created a tool, the Leadership Compass, that provides direction for being a successful and effective leader. The COMPASS is based on a combination of skills, traits, behaviors and talents we’ve observed over the years, along with the JoHari Window. (The JoHari Window was created by Joseph Luft and Harry Ingham in 1955 in the United States and helps individuals better understand their relationship with self and others.)
Willingness to Self-Reflect & A Strong Sense of Self-Awareness
Leadership is comprised of many components, and these are two of the most important. Are you prepared to respond to the following questions?
- Where are you going? (vision, mission, goals)
- How do you plan on getting there? (innovation, strategy, planning)
- How could others assist and support you? (people)
- What may get in your way? (barriers, weaknesses and the over-use of strengths)
By utilizing the COMPASS, you will be directed towards actions that will take your leadership, and ultimately your career, on a “journey of discovery.”
PeopleTek’s Leadership COMPASS components are:
- C – Clarity and Communication
- O – Optimize Differences
- M – Manage Change
- P – Plan, Persist, and Organize
- A – Appropriately Handle Conflict
- S – Sustain/Enhance Relationships
- S – Skillfully Influence Others
What changes could you make to become an even more effective leader?
Here’s a Wealth of Information
Each week we’ll partner with QwikCoach and provide the ability for you to reinforce or expand your knowledge of a prior topic.
Last week’s tip focused on Gender in Leadership.
Go to QwikTips to read more! There are two different versions–one for visitors and one for licensed QwikCoach users.
Help turn your leadership knowledge into leadership action!