Are you passionate about the role you play at work?
Have you set goals and identified tasks to better enable you to reach your 2 year, 5 year, and 10 year goals? If not, create a plan now, market yourself, and identify the skills and behaviors you will require to obtain your dream job!
Career Ambition = Passion, Skill, and Will
Champions are made from something they have deep inside.
A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.
– Muhammad Ali
Seven items have been identified that impede individuals from obtaining their dream job (excerpts from For Your Improvement by Michael Lombardo and Robert Eichinger).
- Unsure of what career is truly desired.
- Bored, in the wrong organization, or in the wrong career.
- Unwilling to make sacrifices to get ahead.
- Unclear on how careers really work and how people get ahead.
- Inability to market oneself, stand out, get noticed.
- Hesitant to express career wants, needs and desires.
- Stuck in a comfort zone; unwilling to take a career risk.
How to get started:
-Assess your strengths and identify and take action on your weaknesses
-Obtain a mentor and establish a “board of directors” that will provide you with objective and meaningful feedback
-Identify your “dream job” options
-Step out of your comfort zone and don’t become complacent.
-Share and make your successes known to clients, peers, and bosses.
-Get a coach. They will help you determine what you really want and keep you focused on your dream.
Don’t ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
BONUS – QWIKTIP – Follow this link to read why Passion Is Energy