Some people, regardless of what they lack–money, looks, or social connections–always radiate energy and confidence.—Travis Bradberry
Have you ever noticed a leader that others just seem to be drawn to? Where others make it an effort to work with and for them?
Some leaders (and people) seem to have an aura about them. Is it charisma? Personality? Special behaviors? Travis Bradberry provides the following list of the 11 Secrets of Irresistible People.
11 SECRETS OF IRRESISTIBLE PEOPLE
- They treat EVERYONE with respect – regardless of title or position, everyone is entitled to be treated with respect
- They follow the platinum rule – with a twist: treat others as they want to be treated. Not everyone has the same motivators so don’t treat everyone the same
- They ditch the small talk – get below the “surface”; be genuine, get real
- They focus on people more than anything else – listen and respond to what you’re hearing.
- They don’t try too hard – don’t dominate conversations; let your strengths shine through naturally
- They recognize the difference between fact and opinion – don’t be afraid to share your opinions, but don’t pawn them off as facts
- They are authentic – building trust becomes easier when you’re “real”
- They have integrity – walk the talk, follow through, do what’s “right”
- They smile – positive behaviors and actions are contagious
- They make an effort to look their best – being presentable is a sign of respect to those you’re interacting with
- They find reasons to love life – they live and work their passion
Do you have a mentor (or perhaps know another leader) who has qualities that appeal to you? Have you assessed why, and are there qualities you would like to emulate?
Please share them with us!
My own definition of leadership is this: The capacity and the will to rally men and women to a common purpose and the character which inspires confidence. —General Montgomery